History > Mills

The Boldon Book indicates that there was a mill with a mill dam under construction and the intention of creating a fishery at Bedlington. A decree was made by the Durham Court of Chancery in 1637, where Robert Delaval had to seek the permission of the lessee of Bedlington mill, which stood a little higher up the river and on the opposite bank, to place the end of his dam on the north bank. The lessee of the Bedlington mill, having stipulated that he be allowed to destroy the dam if he was inconvenienced by it, discovered that it set up a back water which he claimed interfered with the working of his mill, and obtained fulfilment of the contract. The site of the mill is described by Hodgson, the famous 19th century historian, as where the steep, rocky and wooded banks of Blyth Dene begin to open and slope gently in to the estuary, suggesting that the location of this mill was in Dene Park. Bedlington Corn Mill, mentioned in wills of 1602 and 1715, was incorporated into the iron works in 1790.

   
 


 
   

 

 

 

Bedlington Engine and Iron Works
HomeSite MapKey DatesHistoryArchaeologyLinksContactBedlington Iron and Engine Works Website Content © Wansbeck District Council 2009 All Rights Reserved Design by the Archaeological Practice Ltd Drawing of an early locomotive