History > Coal

The earliest reference to a colliery at Bedlington dates to the 1630s. In 1693 a lease for the coal mines was granted to Edward Arden together with rights of way-leave, indicating that the coals were shipped by sea. Waggonways are known in the area from the early 17th century, although their exact courses are unrecorded.

Bedlington in the 19th century was growing in population due to the opportunities provided by coal mining. At the beginning of the 19th century there was one small colliery at Bedlington, the coal from which was sent to a staith below the iron works and there loaded into keels and sent down the river to Blyth. During the period 1836-60 further large pits were sunk at Bedlington Colliery. Doctor Pit (sunk in 1854) and Bedlington Colliery shaft are marked on the Ordnance Survey first edition (c.1860), together with a drift mine. The Bedlington Colliery complex then comprised "A" pit, a school and three terraces of colliery houses totalling c.105 houses.

   
 


 
   

 

 

 

Bedlington Engine and Iron Works
HomeSite MapKey DatesHistoryArchaeologyLinksContactBedlington Iron and Engine Works Website Content © Wansbeck District Council 2009 All Rights Reserved Design by the Archaeological Practice Ltd Drawing of an early locomotive